Listen Live on  
 

Y94

The 80s to Now
 
 

Death Of 2-Year-Old Inspiration For Potential New Law

 
Death Of 2-Year-Old Inspiration For Potential New Law
Posted August 1st, 2013 @ 9:00am by Jim Donovan

A 2-year-old girl who died in a fire in March of last year is the inspiration for a potential new law.

The family of Averyana Dale is behind an effort to offer a tax credit that encourages people to install photoelectric detectors in their home. The Auburn fire in March of 2012 caused the death of Averyana and her 38-year-old godmother because of smoke inhalation. Her family believes their lives might have been saved if the home had photelectric detectors instead of ionization detectors - the most common variety.

A safety expert says photoelectric alarms detect smoke from smoldering fires, but ionization devices don't. The bill to provide the tax credit, known as Averyana's Law, is being reviewed by a state committee.

Recommended Stories

More from Y94

*