A 2-year-old girl who died in a fire in March of last year is the inspiration for a potential new law.
The family of Averyana Dale is behind an effort to offer a tax credit that encourages people to install photoelectric detectors in their home. The Auburn fire in March of 2012 caused the death of Averyana and her 38-year-old godmother because of smoke inhalation. Her family believes their lives might have been saved if the home had photelectric detectors instead of ionization detectors - the most common variety.
A safety expert says photoelectric alarms detect smoke from smoldering fires, but ionization devices don't. The bill to provide the tax credit, known as Averyana's Law, is being reviewed by a state committee.